Thirst for Classical Knowledge

For the last few years I have had a great thirst for knowledge.  I've wanted to pick up all of what I missed as a student in the public school system.  Some of it I missed at my own fault.  My theology of the time doubted the faith of my teachers and questioned whether what they were teaching me was true or not.  On the other hand, while my school touted the line "success for all" it defined "success" in achievement, rather than...  funny, I can picture the word, but I can't bring it to mind.  The idea of an applicable grasp of a subject in relation to other subjects and use in the world.

When I worked in Virginia, I was briefly exposed to classical education and a realization that I missed out on learning about the greats!  Actually, that realization started when I was a student at a prestigious university where I realized I didn't know half of what all my classmates were talking about when they mentioned great writers and philosophers.  And then in my work during seminary I interacted with people who had received classical educations and I desired it!

Needless to say, this awareness has created a hunger within me.  I've been acquiring children's books that teach the basics on all fields of study.  I've been reading Louise Cowan and Os Guinness' book "Invitation to the Classics" and have had my faith challenged.  I have a sense that this study and hunger is for some greater purpose.  First motivated by my ability to educate my own children, now motivated by a curiosity as to how my acquiring this knowledge might help me to educate the world.

What I say now, I don't say with pride, but as a result of much struggle.  I feel as though I'm destined for greatness.  I fight it every day.  I desire normalcy.  But, it doesn't find me.  It is like life keeps pushing me for something more, for which I am not yet prepared.  Or perhaps I am prepared, but scared.

Greatness isn't easy.  It makes others uncomfortable.  The ride isn't smooth.  One must be courageous and able to persevere through the trials.  I know I'm not that strong. There are many who are much stronger than I am.  I know that I am not that great of speaker.  I relate to Paul when he writes of being bold when away, but not as well spoken in person.  I get when Moses trembles before God considering himself dumb of tongue.  When I get up to speak, I can't always find my words.  I also know I'm imperfect.  I regret a lot of what I say and when I get something right it is usually clear that it was God speaking and not myself.  And yet, in reading through these summaries of classics, I'm starting to recognize the adage from the Bible that the clay doesn't get to choose what the potter makes of it.  I am the clay.  God is the potter.  I can be tough and fight against how he is trying to mold me, or I can submit and be soft and move to God's subtle touch.

So, I wait to see what God is going to make of me and how he is going to use this hunger for knowledge in my life.  This time of self-education and "catch up."  I could come up with a list of "perhaps."  Perhaps I'm learning this for purpose A or purpose B in the future.  But, that would be pointless, as reality is it is probably for purposes C, D, and E.  And perhaps even for purpose F.

So, I just have to wait and listen and trust and submit to the Master Creator.  Knowing His will is good and trustworthy. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry