Mystery of God

"I'm convinced: You can do anything and everything.
Nothing and no one can upset your plans...
 
I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me,
made small talk about wonders way over my head...
 
I admit I once lived by rumors of you;
now I have it all firsthand--from my own eyes and ears!
I'm sorry--forgive me. I'll never do that again, I promise!
I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor."
- Job in response to God (The Message, excerpt from Job 42:1-6)
 
"He will ask me not to treat you as you deserve for talking nonsense about me,
and for not being honest with me, as he has."
- God addressing Job's "consoling" friends (The Message, excerpt from Job 42:7-8)

How does a minister talk of God and address people's questions when God is a mystery?

I think the answer somewhat lie in Job's earlier response, even though he apologizes for speaking too much.  In Job 27ff, Job recognizes that God is in charge and God's ways are more than we can fathom.

I also think a big idea is that it isn't about what we do, but about who God is.  Yet, we can offend God.  In some ways how God is pictured in Job makes it confusing regarding how we are to please God, other than to recognize that God is in charge and we are not and God's ways are higher than our own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry