Bucket List - Lifetime Goals

When I was in middle school I created a list of 100 lifetime goals.  Using colorful markers and white pieces of computer paper I recorded these dreams of mine for the life that I wanted. In high school I recreated the list, crossing off the few items I had completed. In college, in writing pen, I added several more and removed new achievements.

Yesterday, I went to find the list and was unable to locate it. So, I sat down to write a new list and realized how much my adult perspective had shifted things. A hundred goals at an idealistic age of thirteen was no problem.  But now that I have seen the work, patience, and obstacles that must be overcome to accomplish each goal, even creating a list of eight was difficult. 

My new list, I suspect contains some of the items on my old list.  "Travel to Italy," "Be in a movie or television series," and "Learn another language."  It also contains some new ones, with lengthy clauses, "Have the entire house cleaned & organized at one time during the rhythm of normal life..."

But this morning, I realized that one of the most important life goals was left off my list, "Spend eternity with Jesus."

How many of us really think of that as a life goal?  Sure, salvation is a gift by God's grace, but does that mean it isn't something we shouldn't put some of our own work and patience towards, as we overcome obstacles with God?  Doesn't Scripture read, "Run the race in such a way to get the prize," and (1 Cor. 9:24) "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith"?  (2 Timothy 4:7)

Next times someone asks, "what is on your bucket list?"  Will you respond with, "to finish the race with Jesus?"  I hope so. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry