Racism, Feminism, and other Systemic Injustice against a group of people sharing something in common


Sometimes a person can be oversensitive as a result of legitimate past hurt, but that doesn't mean their sensitivity is accurate. What do you think of this statement?

Sometimes I wonder if one of the consequences of systemic injustice against a group of people who share a feature in common is that some individuals within such a group become ultra-sensitive which heightens the injustice.

I've seen this in fellow women clergy. Where comments and events not at all related to their experience all of a sudden become related to their experience. I've seen this in peers who are of a minority race. Someone's kindness is discredited even though the person is genuinely kind to stranger and friend alike. I've seen this in people who have faced injustices in the criminal justice system. A police officer pulls him over for speeding and he thinks all cops are out to get him, even though the speed trap was set up before anyone knew he'd be driving down that road and he was going above the speed limit.

Is this a conversation we are allowed to have? I recognize that I can be an oversensitive person in general and so I need to watch my lens of perspective, so that I can forgive myself and forgive others. But, in the public discussion of the hot topics about systemic injustice, are we allowed to talk about how these injustices might lead to increased sensitivity among some and perhaps sometimes that sensitivity is not accurate?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry