Matthew 18 modernized - The parable of the unmerciful servant

A business owner decided to settle her accounts.  Known for her graciousness, she had given out several loans to her employees.  As she began this process, she scheduled a meeting with a man who owed her over 2 billion dollars.  Since he was not able to pay, the owner explained that she would have to begin filing the papers for a lawsuit against the man.  Knowing this woman was well connected with the legal system and had strong grounds for the suit, the man knew he would lose everything, including his wife and kids. 

At this, he fell to his knees before his employer and begged, saying "Be patient with  me. I will pay back everything. Just give me more time. I will pay it back."

The employer knew better.  She knew he hadn't yet paid him back and that the debt was so great that it would be impossible for him to even make a dent in what he owed.  So, she took pity on him and forgave the entire debt.  He left her office with a huge weight lifted off his shoulders.

Not long after leaving her office, the man approached one of his co-workers who owed him a little over $6,000.  He grabbed his coworker and began to choke him, "Pay back what you owe me!" he demanded.

His fellow coworker fell to his knees and begged him,, "Be patient with me. I will pay back everything. Just give me more time. I will pay it back."

But the man refused. Instead, he went off, hired a lawyer, and had the man thrown into jail until he could pay the debt. When his coworkers saw what had happened they were outraged and told their boss everything that had happened.

Then the employer called the employee in. "You wicked man," she said, "I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to.  Shouldn't you have mercy on your coworker just as I had mercy on you?"  In anger the man's employer filed a lawsuit and hired the best lawyer.  The employee ended up in jail.

This is how God will treat us if we do not forgive our fellow human beings from our heart.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry