Created in God's Image


 So God created mankind in his own image,
   in the image of God he created them;
   male and female he created them. “
Genesis 1:27


This is the foundation of our identity as human beings – created beings made to reflect the image of God.  As such, we are blessed with authority and abilities that no other living creation possesses.  We create.  We think.  We value relationships.  Our existence is a testimony to God’s existence.

And as Christians, this identity becomes the heartbeat of our ethics.  We make decisions and behave in manners that recognize the value of human life. We look at our relatives, our friends, our colleagues, and even the stranger on the street and take the time to see the image of God in each of them.  We know that each and every life is precious, including our own.

We also recognize the intimacy with God that this identity engenders.  As ones created in God’s image, we are invited into a deep and purposeful relationship with God.  One in which we are both respected and cherished, and one in which there can be mutual love and care.

Almighty God, Creator of the Universe and Creator of me, help me to begin to grasp the value we have as human beings created by You.  Open my eyes to see how this reality impacts how I live, how I do my job, and how I interact with others. Envelope me in your love so that I might better reflect your image in my love for others. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry