God speaks and it is.


He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; 

I will be exalted among the nations, 

I will be exalted in the earth.” – Psalm 46:10

Jesus just says the word and it is!  An officer in the Roman army approaches Jesus and tells him that one of his servants is sick.  The officer asks Jesus to heal the servant. Jesus says “Go” and the servant is healed.  Two people possessed by demons approach Jesus and Jesus says “Go!” and the demons depart and the people are healed. A leper approaches Jesus, Jesus responds, “Be made clean!” and we know what happens, the leper is healed.  A paralytic is brought to Jesus and Jesus says, “Your sins are forgiven… Stand up, take your bed, and go to your home” and the man stands up and walks. (See Matthew 8-9)

Hmmm. Does this remind you of anyone else?  “Then God said, ‘Let there be light’ and there was light.”  “And God said, ’…  let the dry land appear. ‘ And it was so.” “And God said, ‘Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind…’ And it was so.” (See Genesis 1)

God as the creator of all things has authority over all of creation.  God says the word, and it is.  Perhaps this is what God was pointing to when Moses asked for God’s name and God responded “I Am.”  God is.  Jesus is.  The Holy Spirit is. (See Exodus 3)

If God just Is, can I also just be?  The first part of Psalm 46:10 reads “Be still, and know that I am God.”  What does this mean? I am finite and God is infinite. I am created and God is the creator. I may act and do things, but it is God who has given me the ability, the desire, and the environment to do those things.  Without God, I am nothing.  But because of God, I exist.

God, the great I Am, spoke the word and I became. 

Have you been still lately and just recognized that God is God?

Prayer:  You are!  I am only because You are!  Help me to recognize this and to worship You today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry