Write that Down!

“Generation after generation stands in awe of your work; each one tells stories of your mighty acts.” – Psalm 145:4 (The Message)

“You should write that down.” How often do I hear those words? I tell a story about a way I have witnessed God in either my life or someone else’s and I get the response, “you should write that down.” Why? So I don’t forget? How could I possibly forget? So, I don’t write it down and I forget.

One of the gifts of faith that can be passed down from generation to generation are the stories about our encounters with God. These stories are powerful and they are part of our legacy. The stories don’t have to be about something out of the ordinary, they can be quite simple. How I found strength when someone shared a kind word at just the right time. About that job promotion that was unexpected, but much needed. Or that moment when I witnessed a red full moon for the first time and just knew that God exists.

They are stories about why we believe, why we worship, and why Christian community matters. They are the stories that proclaim God’s mighty acts and encourage the next generation to have faith as well. They are stories that give hope and remind younger generations that they do have a future that is greater than today.

Do we stand in awe of God’s works? Do we have stories of God’s mighty acts? If so, then lets stand in awe with the generations ahead and behind of us and let us share those stories!

Almighty God, thank you for being God of eternity. Thank you for the faith of those who came before me, who encouraged me, and helped me to believe. Help me to stand in awe of you and to tell the stories of your greatness with those of other generations. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry