Prepare the Way

Repentance prepares the way for Christ. That is pretty simple, isn't it. Or is it?

Why is it so difficult for us to repent? Is it because it requires that we swallow our pride? Is it because repentance makes us face the reality of who we really are? Is it because we don't have the time to truly repent? Or is it because it is a lot of hard work?

In Matthew 3 we read that John the Baptist came to prepare the way for Christ. How did he do this? By preaching a message of repentance. See, repentance must be a requirement for us to be prepared for Christ. It is a manner by which we prepare mentally and whole-heartedly for the presence of Christ in our lives.

I can't fully see who Jesus Christ is, unless I recognize who I am and who I am not. In order to recognize Jesus as the Messiah, I need to first recognize that I am not the Messiah. I must see what makes up my own humanity in order to see the unique divinity and perfect humanness of the Anointed One. If I am unwilling to take the time to do this, to prepare myself, will I really be ready and have the time for Christ when he comes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry