Mimesis and Christian Integrity

Last night I read this brilliant writing of E Auerbach that describes so eloquently the distinction and powerful difference between Greek mythology and the sacred writings of the Hebrew narrative. My eyes were filled with tears as I flipped the pages of this worn-torn book called the Mimesis and noted how the God of the Bible did not see a need to clarify His identity with explicit descriptions nor need to focus on the character of His followers without first noting their relationship with Him. After reading several chapters by different authors critiquing the Genesis text as only a theological writing and not having any historical substance, the writing of Auerbach came as a breath of fresh air. He put to words what I want to claim about my willingness, ability, and desire to approach the Bible as a scholar while still fully having faith in the Divine's creation of the text and the truthfulness of the story.

One of my peers, who is ahead of me in the sequence of classes, commented as to how our Jewish professor and scholar, Micheal Fishbane, can hold together his classic literary understanding of the Pentateuch with his reverence and great respect and belief in God. I don't think this peer read the first chapter of the Mimesis. It is now, on my record, a must-read book for all Christians, especially for all Christian scholars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry