Time - Scripture

In my last post, Time - What is it really? , I shared about a Sunday School lesson from childhood that greatly impacted my perspective on God's relationship with time. In this post I would like to summarize some key scriptures related to time. When studying Christian theology, a good study starts with prayer (a focus on the object of our faith - God) and Scripture.

Lord, God Almighty, You are the creator of the heavens and the earth and all that exists. Please guide me as I seek to better understand who you are and how time affects or doesn't affect how you interact with us humans. Through this study, please help me to grow to know you and to love you more. And Father, if it is thy will, please use this site and these thoughts to bring about honest and loving discussions among Christians and unbelievers. If the thoughts recorded here do not honor you and will bring about unnecessary discussion in the church, please keep these pages concealed from all but those who need to read them. I trust God that you are sovereign, I just want to understand what that means. Thank you!

Lord, grant me understanding, wisdom, and insight as I read the following Scriptures and protect my mind in the process. Amen.

(While reading my summary of Scripture, please keep in mind that I have chosen to use masculine pronouns to point towards God, but at the same time, I recognize that God has no gender.)

Joshua 24:15 - we are to choose who we will serve, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

Jeremiah 1:4 - God gave His word to the prophets.

Jeremiah 1:5 - God forms humans in their mother's womb. God "knew" Jeremiah, before he was even formed in his mother's womb. God set Jeremiah apart before he was born. God chose Jeremiah and gave him the job of prophet. In other words, God "knows" people before they exist. (It seems that the word "knew" usually implies an intimate knowledge, I'll have to look up the meaning of the Hebrew in this context.)

Job 37:23 - There is something amazing about God. He has great power. He is just. He has great righteousness. "The Almighty is beyond our reach..."

Psalm 19 - The sky daily proclaims God's glory in a manner that all can understand. The laws and orders of God are perfect and are good for those who are governed by them. God is aware of hidden sins, forgives, and can help keep a person from willfully sinning. Humans can seek to please God.

Psalm 145:17 - God is perfectly righteous and acts in a loving manner towards His creation.

Matthew 11:28 - Humans are invited to come to God when burdened and God will give them rest.

Matthew 17:1-8 - Jesus spoke with Moses and Elijah. Jesus is God's son. God loves and is pleased with His son, Jesus.

Matthew 22:30 - There will be a resurrection. At the resurrection people "will be like the angels in heaven." Marriage will be insignificant at the time of the resurrection.

Luke 24:13-43
John 6:44
John 8:56-59
John 20:19-29
Romans 8:28-30
Romans 9:17-19
1 Corinthians 15:54
Ephesians 1:4-5
Epheisans 2:4-6
Philippians 2:5-11
Philippians 3:21
James 4:8
2 Peter 3:8
Revelation 21:4
Revelation 21:21-23

Please feel free to email me with any significant scripture I may have missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

Question: Multi-generational ministry

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?