Book: Postville: A Clash of Cultures in Heartland America

Title: Postville: A Clash of Cultures in Heartland America
Author: Stephen G. Bloom
Published: A Harvest Book of Harcourt, Inc. 2000

Reasons for Reading: A hobby of mine is learning more about different cultures. I enjoy anthropology and sociology. While wandering the shelves of the nearest Barnes and Noble I came across this book. I have really enjoyed reading it. I am originally from Iowa, but moved to a larger city, so I appreciate Bloom's commentary from the perspective of one who grew up in a city and then moved to Iowa. I am also in ministry and fascinated with how religion and culture intermix and interrelate.

If I were to re-title the book, I'd name it: The current title does a good job of representing the content of the book. If I had to re-title the book, I'd name it "Finding myself in the midst of the Postville Cultural Clash."

Quotes I would like a response to:
"Small towns don't take kindly to outsiders coming in and passing judgment. But during my years in Postville, I grew to understand this tiny town. That most Postville people would go out of their way to help a stranger -- any stranger. That a connection exists between the land and those who work it. That people in this rustic pocket of America rely on each other, and because of that, inextricable ties bind rural people together in a way city people can't fathom."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry