"Surprise Me" - The S & T Factor

Just found this old post, that I never posted:

I just finished reading chapter, or should I say "day" 1 of Terry Esau's book. So far, I really like how he thinks. I remember when he came and spoke at Northwestern College, when I was a student there, and thinking that someday I should pick up his book "Blue Collar God/White Collar God." Anyway, in chapter/day 1, he mentions his lunch meeting with an innovative friend and makes the following reflective remarks:


"'Incrementalism is innovation's worst enemy.' I don't know who said that, but I love this phrase and think it's packed with a lot of truth... Long ago I decided that in my music business, if everybody feels good and safe with the music, then it must be weak, impotent, passionless. And it probably won't achieve its purpose. I call this the S & T factor. If there's not at least one person who Squirms and Twitches when they hear it, then toss it out, it's dead."


Sometime a few years back I wrote (well, God guided me in writing) a personal mission statement and then later ministry guiding principle goals. One of those guiding ministry principles/goals was to "stir the church." Sounds a lot like the S & T factor. If the sermon doesn't have that special punch/zing/conjunction to it, then throw it and start over, or wait until it comes. Holy Spirit spice. Yeah, that is what I think I'll call it. If it is missing the Holy Spirit spice, sit back and wait and see what comes of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry