The Message Version

So, today I sat down and began reading Genesis from the Message version of the Bible and it has been good for me to do this. As I read, I stop and question, "does it really say that?" and then briefly check the validity of the translation. Most of the time, I am surprised by the accuracy and the manner by which it makes me read Scripture differently, from a fresh perspective. But I did find one translation liberty that caught me off guard, it read:

"The very ground is cursed because of you;
getting food from the ground
Will be as painful as having babies is for your wife;
you'll be working in pain all your life
long. "
I'm not quite sure where the "will be as painful as having babies is for your wife" came from. See Genesis 3:17-19.

It is also interesting how much more quickly my eyes glide across the paper and the passages. I read at a much quicker pace, even though I am stopping every few sentences to check the translation against another translation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Palm Sunday School Lesson for Teenagers

They touched Jesus, but then, how did they pray?

Question: Multi-generational ministry